Have a video clip with important audio (speech, narration, valuable sound or music, etc.)? Want to tell a story and show different footage while you speak? By creating a B-roll, you'll be able to combine audio from one clip with related scenes or actions from other/different photos or video clips.
Your original clip (with audio) will be split into A-roll and B-roll, to allow you to create transitions between the shots/scenes:
A-roll is the primary audio and video of the original video clip with the original audio.
B-roll is basically the supplemental footage used to visually support the A-roll.
On Magisto - once creating a B-roll, you can use the original audio from the A-roll video clip, and add different footage (video and photos) to "visually support" the A-roll.
This is often used for adding speech/narration/voice-over.
To add B-roll to your video:
1. Tap on the video you would like to add b-roll to and tap on “Edit” at the bottom left hand side.
2. In your Story, find a video clip (either in the existing footage already selected, or by adding new footage) that has prominent audio, such as speech, that you want to hear in your video.
There are 4 conditions that must be met to create a B-roll sequence:
- The A-roll must be a video scene.
- The duration of your A-roll must be longer than 7 seconds.
- The video must contain an audio track.
- The duration of the B-roll must fit the A-roll's available space.
To extend the length of your video longer than 7 seconds, use the trim tool.
3. Drag and drop the supporting footage (photos or other video clips) on top of your chosen audio. These are B-roll clips that will be shown while hearing the audio. Note that every time you drag and drop footage into the A-roll, Magisto will display the remaining footage duration you can add to the B-roll sequence.
4. Tap on “Preview” once you're satisfied with the changes.
To remove a single piece of footage from your B-roll:
1. Drag and drop the footage anywhere outside of the B-roll sequence:
To disable the B-roll sequence:
1. Tap on the 3 dots of the A-roll and tap on “Split to scenes”:
Magisto may identify speech or other prominent audio and enable B-roll for you automatically, during the movie creation process.
- You can trim to adjust the audio's beginning and ending.
- You can add or remove items (video clips and photos) from the B-roll.
- You can always disable the B-roll by tapping on “Split to scenes” as shown above.